What is McTimoney Chiropractic?
Chiropractic treatment is a gentle method of adjusting the bones of your body to maintain the correct alignment of your spine.
An underlying principle of chiropractic is that a healthy spine facilitates a healthy life. Chiropractors practice a drug-free, hands-on approach to health care that includes patient examination, diagnosis and treatment. By offering expert drug-free spinal health care, dietary and lifestyle advice, chiropractors help you to lead a healthy life and maintain wellbeing.
Chiropractors offer a package of care with an emphasis on the spine and the neuro-musculo-skeletal system and how conditions affecting these areas can affect your health and performance. Chiropractors do not use medicines or surgery and the gentle manual approaches we use are extremely safe and comfortable to receive.
A package of chiropractic care is used regularly to help maintain good posture, promote health and improve performance, no matter what it is you do, from a high performance athlete to a senior member of the community enjoying a potter in the garden. Patients undergoing chiropractic care often report benefits from back, neck and general joint pain, sciatica, headaches, minor sports injuries and other similar conditions.
Chiropractors have broad diagnostic skills and are also trained to recommend therapeutic and rehabilitative exercises, as well as to provide nutritional, dietary and lifestyle advice.
Referral: If your chiropractor feels your problem is not suitable for chiropractic care or needs further investigation, they will liaise with your GP and other health care providers to arrange an appropriate referral, as long as you provide your permission to do so.
McTimoney treatment is a gentle treatment that uses relatively light fast movements to adjust the bones of the body. This gentle nature makes it suitable for people of all ages including children, pregnant women and the elderly.
Our aim is to provide the best possible Chiropractic care to the benefit of our patients.
How is McTimoney different?
With McTimoney Chiropractic, only our hands are used to assess and treat you. These subtle adjustments may help relieve pain and discomfort, increase mobility and provide a route to increased health. We do not twist your body into uncomfortable positions.
McTimoney Chiropractic can help the following conditions:
- Ankle sprain (short term management)
- Elbow pain and tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) arising from associated musculoskeletal conditions of the back and neck, but not isolated occurrences
- Headache arising from the neck (cervicogenic)
- Inability to relax
- Joint pains
- Joint pains including hip and knee pain from osteoarthritis as an adjunct to core OA treatments and exercise
- General, acute & chronic backache, back pain (not arising from injury or accident)
- Generalised aches and pains
- Mechanical neck pain (as opposed to neck pain following injury i.e. whiplash)
- Migraine prevention
- Minor sports injuries and tensions
- Muscle spasms
- Plantar fasciitis (short term management)
- Rotator cuff injuries, disease or disorders
- Shoulder complaints (dysfunction, disorders and pain)
- Soft tissue disorders of the shoulder
(ASA Nov 2017)
Can McTimoney help everyone?
McTimoney’s gentle approach does not mean that it is ineffective. It can help all sorts of people with all sorts of problems. People engaged in heavy manual work have benefited from this treatment, along with rugby players and others involved in strenuous sports.
Like all other chiropractors in the UK, McTimoney chiropractors are registered with the General Chiropractic Council (GCC). This is the statutory body responsible for the regulation of the UK Chiropractic profession. You cannot become a registered member of this body without the appropriate qualifications. It is illegal for anyone in UK to use the title of Chiropractor unless they are registered with the GCC.
We are also able to offer a range therapies to augment Chiropractic.
Sports Massage, Myofascial Release and Acupuncture all work very well in conjunction with Chiropractic.
They can be used to address musculature problems that may be hindering recovery.
What can you expect on your first visit?
At Ashwood Chiropractic we take time to understand your condition. Your first appointment can last between 1 and 1 ½ hours.
During this time the chiropractor will:
- Take a full case history including your medical history.
- Obtain your permission to give you a thorough physical examination.
- Undertake specific orthopaedic and neurological tests for your particular condition.
You may be asked to undress down to your underwear for this examination. There will be privacy provided for this. There are gowns provided for those uncomfortable with having to undress.
The chiropractor’s primary concern is to assess what is causing your condition and also to assess if there are any other more serious underlying conditions for which you may need referral to your GP or hospital.
Before your first treatment the chiropractor will explain:
- What they have found during the examination.
- The proposed treatment plan.
- The benefits and risks associated with your condition and proposed treatment.
What is chiropractic, how does it work and how does McTimoney Chiropractic fit into the picture?
Chiropractic at Ashwood Chiropractic
First Appointment1 hour 30 minutes (Includes first treatment)
- £48.00per session for children
Follow on Treatments60 minutes
Follow on Treatments45 minutes
- £28.00 per session for children
Spine Check15 minutes
- Free for adults and children